There are different facts about Ramayana.The Ramayana is one of the two great epics of Hinduism, the other being the Mahabharata .The Ramayana is an epic in every sense of the word. It teaches people the technicalities and the nuances of life so they can lead happy, content life. The entire history of the Treta Yug is the very essence of the Ramayana.
1. Kaikesi chose Vishrava as her husband in quest to mother a son who was incomparable.
2. Ravan’s mother was the princess of Daityas. Her name was Kaikesi. Kaikesi’s father was Sumali. Ravan was half Brahman and halfAsura.
4. Hanuman was also shot by Bharat while flying over Ayodhya. Hanuman accepted the arrow as Bhagwan Ram was written over it. Since he was shot on a leg, he had a limp for some time.
5. Hanuman also defied Sun from rising before time as it would have killed Laxman. In a way slowing the rotation of earth and Sun’s revolution.
7. Hanuman had been blessed by Surya, Laghima and Garima. He could change as many forms as he liked. The boons he got from them he used in order to defeat Sursa, Chaayagrahi, Lankini in the Ramayan.
8. Vali had defeated Ravan as well. Once Ravana called Vali for a fight. He took Ravan in his tail and took him around all the world. Humbled, Ravana called for a truce.
10. Tara was an apsara produced from the churning of ocean. During the churning, (Baali) Vali was from gods side.
11. Ram, Laxman and Sita spent the vanvaas in Dandakaranya forests, which is forest region surrounded by hills and vegetation.
13. It was in the Sarayu river that Shri Ram took a jal samadhi in.
14. Laxman was the twin brother of Shatrughan. Their mother was Sumitra. Even today recitement of name Shatrughan is enough to decimate strength of enemies.
16. The Laxman rekha episode only finds mention in Ramcharitmanas.
17. Bhagwan Shiv explained that Laxman would have escaped Shakti easily, but to respect it, he took it on his chest.
19. Laxman killed three sons of Ravan in combat. While his killing of Meghnaad is more popular, other sons of Ravan were Prahast and Atikay.
20. Laxman never slept during their fourteen years of exile. He was known as the one who had defeated sleep itself.
22. Sita is an incarnation of Devi Laxmi. She is also the daughter of Bhoomi devi (earth).
23. Ram and Laxman had helped their guru when they had to slay demons. They were Maricha and Subahu.
25. Ram is the seventh incarnation of Bhagwan Vishnu, a Dashavatar.
26. Ram and his brothers were born because of a Yajna. by Dashratha. They were not born with the natural reproduction. At the end of the yagya, a bowl of dessert was given to Dashratha, which was distributed among his wives. Sumitra was fed twice, so she gave birth to twins. Dasharatha belonged to the Ikshvaku lineage (Ikshvaku is the first king of the Ikshvaku dynasty and founder of the Solar Dynasty of Kshatriyas in Vedic civilization in ancient India).
28. The Ramayan is written in seven sections, also known as kand. These areBal Kand – Ram’s boyhood.Ayodhya Kand – Ram’s life in Ayodhya until his banishment.Aranya Kand – Ram’s life in the forest and Sita’s abduction byKishkindha Kand – Ram’s stay at Kishkindha, the capital of his monkey ally Sugriva.,Sundar Kand – Ram’s journey to Sri Lanka,Yudh Kand or Lanka Kand – Ram’s battle with Ravan,
29. The ramayan has been written keeping in mind their Kalyugi counterparts. this great epic is composed of couplets called ‘shloka’, employing a complex meter called ‘anustup’. These verses are grouped into individual chapters called ‘sarga’, wherein a specific event or intent is told. The sarga’s are again grouped into sections called ‘kand’.
31. Valmiki Ramayan and Ramcharitmanas are the most popular versions. These two have been in vogue since times immemorial.
32. The Ramayan is the historical compilation of incidents that occurred at the end of Tretayug. It is the most read epic among Hindus. The Ramayan is not only the history of Ram but it also covers life incidences of Laxman, Bharat and Hanuman. We can’t forget Sita, Urmila, Vibheeshana alongwith Kaikeyi and Manthra.
34. Ram’s younger brother Lakshman was the incarnate of Sheshnag or Adi Shesha.
35. Ram’s gurus Vashishtha and Vishvamitra started hating each other.
36. Sita’s name while in exile was Vaidehi.
38. There was a time when Hanuman ripped his chest open to show the presence of Ram and Sita in his heart.
39. Hanuman got a necklace of pearls from Sita but he destroyed it because it didn’t contain Ram’s name.
41. Ravana had to worship Shiva and sing his praises. He broke his arm while constructing a new musical instrument. It was called the Ravana Hatta. While Ravana lay dying Ram asked Laxman to go up to him to learn all that Ravana had to offer since Ravana was a Brahman and mastered Vedas.
42. The stripes on the back of squirrels came into being when Bhagwan Ram‘s caressed his hand on one of them for their dedication to help construct the bridge to Lanka. Squirrels were helping holding small pebbles and placing them between gaps of stones used to built bridges.